3gSF is a forum based in the Bay Area for grandchildren of Holocaust survivors (3Gs) to meet, connect and explore our shared history.
The mission of 3gSF is to serve as a living link between the history of the Holocaust and today. A program of the JFCS Holocaust Center, 3gSF uses their personal connection to the Holocaust to inspire understanding, moral courage and social responsibility. Our goal is building a community of Jewish young adults to connect and engage in our common family histories.
- 3gSF Hanukkah Edition at the CJM (12/19, 6-8PM): Join 3gSF for a tour and discussion of Daria Martin: Tonight the World, an exploration of family history from the perspective of a 3g. This new installation combines computer gaming technology and film to explore the unconscious memories of her grandmother. Schmoozing and latkes in the CJM’s blue cube to follow. Register for Latkes and Learning at the CJM >
- Café by the Bay Hanukkah Party (12/27, 12-2PM): Candle lighting, music, and sufganiyot (jelly donuts)… Share family traditions and stories with local Holocaust survivors during this special holiday luncheon. RSVP for the JFCS Cafe by the Bay Hanukkah Party >
Past events include:
- 3gSF Conversations: One of 3gSF’s largest events of the year, this evening included a catered kosher dinner and a discussion with Gloria, a local survivor, in conversation with a member of the leadership team.
- Contemporary Jewish Museum: 3gSF toured “From Generation to Generation: Inherited Memory and Contemporary Art” at the CJM and explored the connection between the art of the exhibition and their shared history.
- San Francisco Jewish Film Festival: Each summer, members gather for an outing to the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival. Last year members screened ‘A La Vie’, a film about three women who met in Auschwitz reuniting for a holiday weekend.
- Café by the Bay Hanukkah Party: 3gSF joined the volunteer team for the annual JFCS Café by the Bay Hanukkah party for Bay Area survivors. Members of 3g helped with serving, singing, and schmoozed with survivors.
- Exploration of Transgenerational Trauma: An introductory look at the psychological effects of the Holocaust on the 3rd generation, this meeting presented an opportunity to explore how trauma is experienced, processed, and passed on.
3gSF in the News:
Grandchildren of Holocaust Survivors Unite! >
3rd generation assumes mantle of preserving survivors’ stories >
Holocaust survivors are dwindling, but their children are just getting started >
Get involved! Contact Morgan Blum Schneider at MorganB@jfcs.org.
Join the 3gSF Facebook page.
Funding for 3gSF is provided by fees and donations from generous individuals and foundations.
To make a donation, please contact Barbara Farber at BarbaraF@jfcs.org, 415-449-3858, or give online today.